200g Paella Rice
4g Squid Ink
1/2 Green Pepper
1/2 Red Pepper
1 Tbsp Grated Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
1 Tbsp Sweet ‘Pimentón’
600ml Fish Stock
50ml E.V. Olive Oil
SERVINGS: 1-2 pax
PREPARATION TIME: 45 mins
SPECIAL FOOD REQUIREMENTS:
Did you know that...?
‘Socarrat’ is one of the secrets of a perfect Paella. It is a bottom layer of toasted rice, considered a delicacy among Spanish Rice connoisseurs.
It develops on its own if the paella is cooked over a burner or open fire. If cooked in an oven, however, it will not develop. To amend this, place the paella over a high flame while listening to the rice toast at the bottom of the pan. Once the aroma of toasted rice wafts comes forward, remove it from the heat. After that, Paella should be set aside then for about 5 to 8 minutes to absorb the remaining broth.
About this dish
Since Paella wasn’t the result of a singular creation from an inspired cook, but a slow evolution of necessity and adaptation to the available local produce of sea and soil.
‘The Valencian rice’ got popular in different regions of Spain, adhering to its specialties. Naturally, gems of the Mediterranean became one of its most important ingredients. Arròs Negre’ or ‘Arroz Negro’ (’Black Rice’) is a Valencian and Catalan version with squid, prawns, rice and seasoned with herbs and spices.
It is also commonly found in many of the coastal regions of Spain. It is prepared similarly to paella, cooked in a large shallow pan over an open flame until the rice absorbs all of the inky-colored.
STEP BY STEP
1. Dice the Squid and Peppers.
2. Heat the Paella Pan on medium heat with extra virgin oil and start sautéing the Squid and Peppers for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Pan-fry the prawns until they change colour and set them aside for later.
4. Add the garlic, Pimentón and tomato and stir for 2 minutes.
5. Add the Rice and cook briefly, for around 2-3 minutes until the grains are well coated with the oil.
6. Add the Fish Stock with Squid ink into the pan, spread the rice evenly on the surface of the pan and bring it to boil. Keep it at high-medium heat for about 9 minutes and then bring it down slowly until the rice absorbs all the stock. Do not stir the rice, let it settle.
7. Place the Prawns on top of the Paella and steam them for about 2 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat and let the paella rest for 5 to 8 minutes before serving.
visit our deli
Come and make provisions for your home food cupboard. We are constantly adding new products, you will definitely find something for yourself!
Follow us on social media
and stay up to date with our new recipes!
Fri & Sat
We cook & pour all day!
Only Tapas Bar Menu is served from 15:00 to 18:00 and on Fri & Sat from 22:30 to 00:00.
Sun, Tue-Thu Dinner last food/beverage order: 22:00/22:30
Fri – Sat Dinner last Restaurant Menu: 22:30
Fri – Sat Late Nights last food/beverage order: 00:00/00:30